Kitenge was used used on occasions and in many ways either symbolically or for practical reasons.It was also used in different settings to convey messages. here are some traditional uses of kitenge.
- Slings to hold children 0on the back of mothers
- Also used for to hold children at the front so as to hide them while breastfeeding.
- When tied together kitenge fabric is used as a decorative piece e for the dinning table
- Kitenge fabric is also uses as a beach where it is wrapped around the waist or the body to modify the look or shield from cold air
- Sometimes the kitenge fabric is can be framed and hanged on the walls to form batik or artworks.
- In Malawi the kitenge also known as chitenge is customary worn by women during the funerals for symbolic and practical reasons.
- As a gift to your girls especially when they visit their granny.